Hennessy certainly makes some unique hammocks.
If you’ve ever read a Hennessy hammock review, you’ll notice that users have a lot to say about the many features that come incorporated into one of this brand’s many innovative hammocks.
Hennessy hammocks aren’t just a piece of cloth in a bag, like most other basic hammocks.
Their hammocks come with provisions that make their use optimized for a wide variety of environments and weather conditions.
When you buy a Hennessy hammock, the rest takes care of itself.
What Makes a Hennessy Hammock Good for Backpackers?
Hennessy hammocks are ready to go as soon as you receive them.
You’re getting more than just a hammock – you’re getting a fully tooled kit designed for even the roughest outdoor conditions.
Even with all of the accessories, the hammock manages to remain relatively lightweight.
This is exactly why Hennessy hammocks work so well for backpackers. They’re easy to carry, and you’ll know you’re always prepared for everything.
When you’re on a backpacking trip, you can’t control things like the weather.
Having everything you need to tough it out means that you won’t need to turn home before your trip is done. You can stay away for longer, rain or shine. There’s nothing holding you back.
A Look at Hennessy’s Unique Features
Before you skip ahead to the Hennessy hammock review section, there are a few things every hammock has in common that you’ll want to understand. These important features exist mostly in the design of the hammocks.
What sets Hennessy’s design apart from the designs used by competitors is mainly their closures, and the way their hammocks are shaped.
Their incorporated features and style choices make their hammocks comfortable and easy to use.
One thing you’ll want to keep in mind is that each model comes in two variants: classic, and zip.
The classic model uses a Velcro entrance and exit to keep the mosquito netting closed, where the zip model utilizes a zipper where the camper can climb in and out.
The price difference is marginal – it’s all about which one you personally prefer.
The zipper entrance locks closed and stay closed, offering a little more security than the Velcro entrance. On the other hand, the Velcro is easier to use. You can get in and out in a hurry.
Some people with mobility issues prefer the convenience of the Velcro entrance, although it is fair to say that both types of closures offer excellent ease of use.
Almost all of Hennessy’s hammocks are asymmetrical, and that design decision was for more than just aesthetics. If you’ve ever laid down in a traditionally shaped hammock, you know that the sides have a tendency to roll up.
When someone is laying in a hammock, the shape changes to resemble a banana, with the camper serving as the fruit inside of the peel. This is sometimes referred to as the “cocoon effect”
The asymmetrical design of a Hennessy hammock significantly reduces the rolling that causes a hammock to bunch up when someone is inside. This design is achieved by placing side tie outs on the hammock.
On one side, the tie out will be near your elbow. On the other, it will be closer to the camper’s knee. This keeps the hammock open, allowing the user to lie flat.
This makes the hammock comfortable, and easier to use with a backpacking sleeping pad.
TOP 3 Hennessy Hammock Reviews 2019
Hennessy has three core models of hammock, and each one has slight differences. When you’re looking to buy a Hennessy hammock, you’ll find that your biggest choice lies in which one of these models is going to work best for your next camping trip.
The differences in each model make them more appealing to different kinds of campers.
You know what kind of camper you are, and that’s all you need to keep in mind as you read each Hennessy hammock review.
Hennessy Hammock Expedition Series
This hammock is designed for users up to 6 feet tall, weighing up to 250 pounds. The hammock with all of the accessories, including the rain fly and bug net, weighs 2 pounds and 12 ounces to carry.
It packs down to a 4 inch by 7 inch by 9 inch size, so it will easily fit into a camping or hiking backpack.
The included suspension ropes are 10 feet long, and come with webbing straps to keep the straps from damaging the tree.
This hammock is made of 210D Oxford nylon. This is one of the strongest available hammock materials. Though it weighs a little more than its taffeta counterparts, it’s designed to withstand a lot of abuse.
Materials don’t get much more durable than this, and you’ll be glad your hammock is so strong.
The rain fly is made of a lightweight 70D ripstop polyester, coated in polyurethane to prevent water from soaking through.
- This is similar to the kind of hammocks that military personnel would use. You know you can trust the quality of this hammock in any environment you might decide to use it.
- The rain fly is lengthy, and will prevent water from blowing in through the sides of the hammock during windy storms. You can even store your gear beneath the hammock if you elevate it on a log.
- The width of this hammock combined with its side tie downs make it comfortable to sprawl out in. You won’t be stuck sleeping in a cramped position.
- The weight limit of 250 pounds and height limit of 6 feet make it difficult for larger or taller campers to use this hammock. If you’re worried this hammock may be a tight fit, you should probably look into the next size up for a better camping experience.
Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe Series
The Explorer Deluxe hammock is designed for campers all the way up to 7 feet tall, weighing as much as 300 pounds. The actual fabric portion of the hammock measures 130 inches long by 59 inches wide, offering campers a spacious place to sleep.
The entire hammock with all of the included accessories weighs 3 pounds and 9 ounces, packing down to a 5 inch by 8 inch by 12 inch size for easy carry.
It’s crafted out of the same superior 210D Oxford nylon fabric that Hennessy uses to make all of their hammocks.
This fabric does make the hammock weigh a little more, but you won’t find a stronger material from any other manufacturer.
This won’t snag or rip when it comes into contact with tree debris. You can count on it to stay intact for years to come.
The included rainfly is made of durable polyester with a polyurethane outer layer for superior water protection.
- The height and weight limit on this hammock is much higher than Hennessy’s standard offering. This means more people will be able to use it. If you’re very tall or very muscular, you’re likely outside of the limits of the next model down. This hammock will come through for you.
- The side tie downs and large surface area make this hammock easy to use with a sleeping pad or an inflatable hammock mattress. If you have issues with back pain, you’ll appreciate the versatility of this hammock.
- You’re given your choice of two different styles of rain fly – their standard design or their larger hex. If you want a larger rain fly to cover a greater area, all you have to do is ask when you purchase.
- This is a little heavier than most camping hammocks, but it’s because of the durable material and the larger size. It’s a tradeoff for the extra space, though many people will find that exchange to be worthwhile.
Hennessy Hammock Scout Series
The scout series is Hennessy’s budget model, and it’s designed for young campers. It’s the only one of Hennessy’s hammocks to be designed without their signature asymmetrical shape.
The Scout hammock comes with all the other accessories that Hennessy’s hammocks include, such as the bug net and the rain fly. It’s designed for a user up to 5 feet 8 inches in height, with a maximum weight limit of 150 pounds.
The hammock bed is made of 140 high-density nylon, which is one of the strongest kinds of non-Oxford nylon available.
The rain fly is made of the same 70D polyurethane coated polyester that all of the brand’s other rain fly attachments are made of. The hammock itself weighs less than three pounds, and is easy to carry.
- This hammock is designed for scouts and young campers. If you’re bringing a teen or a child with you on your camping trip, or if you have a child who is a member of an outdoor adventuring group, this is the perfect hammock for their expeditions.
- The price is great for what you’re getting. The hammock and all of the accessories together come out to be a bargain, especially when you consider the fact that you’re able to purchase premium equipment for a young outdoor enthusiast.
- The height and weight limit may also work for smaller adults who want a snug-fitting hammock. If your weight and height are close to the limits, you’ll be able to use this hammock for yourself.
- If you’re buying this for a kid or teen, they may eventually outgrow it and require a larger hammock. However, it is worth noting that larger hammocks may be difficult for children and young teens to use on their own, and they may require a smaller sized model like this one.
Which Hennessy Hammock Should You Choose?
After reading each Hennessy hammock review, the differences between each model is clear. The differences between the models are marginal – each one is slightly tailored towards a specific kind of camper.
If you’re still having trouble deciding, it’s hard to go wrong. You can always pick a model according to your budget.
Every one of these Hennessy hammocks will hold up to your next camping trip. You’ll be happy to use one of these models for years to come, and you can rest assured that these hammocks will last a long time.