I don’t know about you, but I am a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my sleeping arrangement.
But even if you’re not a clean freak, I’m sure we can all agree that nobody wants to risk any unnecessary bed bug or mosquito bites.
Sleeping bag liners come with so many benefits that by the end of this article you’ll be asking yourself why you don’t have one yet.
This article will review 15 great sleeping bag liners and then talk about what to look for when choosing the best liner for your needs.
- Top 15 Best Sleeping Bag Liner Reviews 2019
- Cocoon Silk MummyLiner
- Therm-A-Rest Sleeping Bag Liner
- Teton Sports Sleeping Bag Liner
- Rab Poly Cotton Sleeping Bag Liner
- The Friendly Swede Sleeping Bag Liner
- Coleman Stratus Fleece Sleeping Bag Liner
- Alps Mountaineering Brushed Polyester Sleeping Bag Liner
- Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Sleeping Bag Liner
- Mountain Warehouse Microfibre Sleeping Bag Liner
- Sea to Summit Coolmax Adaptor Travel Liner
- Marycrafts 100% Pure Mulberry Silk Sleeping Bag Liner
- THN Outdoors Sleeping Bag Liner
- Tough Outdoors Sleeping Bag Liner
- Vumos Sleeping Bag Liner and Camping Sheet
- Outry Travel and Camping Sheet
- How to Choose the Best Sleeping Bag Liner for Your Needs?
Top 15 Best Sleeping Bag Liner Reviews 2019
Cocoon Silk MummyLiner
The Cocoon Silk MummyLiner is the best silk sleeping bag liner for travelers, being versatile and compact.
It can be used with or without a sleeping bag, will keep you warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot climates while providing some protection against insects.
- This silk liner is machine washable and will dry quickly for convenient hygiene on the road.
- Made of Ripstop silk, it is extremely durable.
- It is zip free which means it packs down smaller and lighter than liners with zips.
- This silk liner is the most compact and light weight option.
- Some people may find the mummy shape restrictive around the legs.
Therm-A-Rest Sleeping Bag Liner
Therm-A-Rest are renowned for their top of the line sleeping equipment and this liner is no exception.
Made of brushed polyester, it is very soft, cozy and warm while remaining light weight.
- The ¾ zip makes getting in and out a little easier without adding too much to weight and bulk.
- It has sewn in loops that are compatible with Therm-A-Rest sleeping bags to hold the liner in place so it doesn’t bunch up.
- Machine washable and packs down to the size of a 1 L bottle.
- A little bulky when packed.
Teton Sports Sleeping Bag Liner
Designed as a liner for double sleeping bags, this is a great option for travel in warm places where you can get away with just the liner.
The double size is perfect if you prefer a little extra leg room and not to be confined to a single sized liner.
- Estimated to add 10’F to all double sleeping bags for use in cooler weather.
- A versatile sheet to be used by itself in hostels and as a blanket on the plane.
- Made of machine washable, brushed poly-flannel which is soft and comfortable.
- Not compatible with solo sleeping bags.
Rab Poly Cotton Sleeping Bag Liner
Rab are a very well respected UK outdoor brand so you can be sure that all of their gear is top of the line.
They have liners of different materials to choose from including silk and cotton as well as this polycotton.
- The 36”x78” standard sleeping bag size rectangle is a simple, functional design with nothing to go wrong.
- No zips or Velcro mean this is a light weight and compact liner.
- Guaranteed to add warmth to your sleeping bag.
- This size will be a little small for some people so check the dimensions will suit you before you buy.
The Friendly Swede Sleeping Bag Liner
This is another great value sleeping bag liner that will be your best friend in all climates, in a sleeping bag or hostel bed.
It is larger than a standard sleeping bag liner so gives you a little more space to move, and packs down extremely small and light.
- 41”x86” dimensions are generous giving you extra wiggle room.
- Has a slit side with Velcro closure for easy entry and a sleeve for a pillow.
- Packs down to a tiny 6”x8” and weighs only 8.35 Oz.
- Hard to find any cons for this liner!
Coleman Stratus Fleece Sleeping Bag Liner
This fleece sleeping bag liner is an excellent option for travelers on a budget who want something a little warmer than a standard liner.
It can easily be used as a summer sleeping bag by itself and adds a decent amount of warmth to your sleeping bag in cold weather.
- The fleece is soft, warm and cozy, estimated to add 12’F to your sleeping bag.
- Multiple bags zip together to make a double fleece sleeping bag for two people.
- It can also be unzipped completely to use flat as a double sheet or blanket.
- May feel a little bulky and take up space in your sleeping bag when used as a liner.
- Not a light weight bag so be prepared to carry a little extra weight.
Alps Mountaineering Brushed Polyester Sleeping Bag Liner
This cozy microfiber brushed polyester liner is designed for rectangular sleeping bags but can also be used by itself or as a sheet making it versatile for travel.
- Can be completely unzipped to use as a flat sheet.
- The material is moisture wicking and quick drying.
- At 1 lbs. 5 oz. this liner is a little on the heavy side.
- Material is not as soft against the skin as some other liners.
Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Sleeping Bag Liner
This is the sleeping bag liner you’ll want for colder climates, effectively adding an extra season to your sleeping bag.
But it is also a great choice for a standalone sleeping bag in warm weather. It is a mummy bag shape and comes with a drawstring around the head area for extra insulation.
- Likely to add an impressive 14’f of warmth to your sleeping bag.
- Packs down small and weighs just 8.7 oz.
- The stretchy, soft material is comfortable and doesn’t feel restrictive.
- 100% polyester Thermolite material is durable and easy to wash.
- It’s hard to find any cons for this liner.
Mountain Warehouse Microfibre Sleeping Bag Liner
This sleeping bag liner is designed for mummy shaped sleeping bags but can be used on its own in warm weather too.
It is a simple cocoon shape with a flap that goes over the pillow area.
- 100% Polyester microfiber is fully machine washable.
- Simple design is light weight, compact and with no fiddly zips to worry about.
- Durable and good value for money.
- No side opening so entry is through the top only.
Sea to Summit Coolmax Adaptor Travel Liner
This versatile sleeping bag liner is designed to excel in all climates, keeping you warm, dry and safe from insects.
It is a mummy bag shape with no side opening so it requires shimmying into from the top. The lack of zips or Velcro means it packs down small.
- The Coolmax fabric is moisture wicking and stretchy making for an extra comfortable sleep.
- Comes pre-treated with permethrin that will last about 70 washes to give extra protection against insects.
- Has a pillow sleeve.
- 6 Oz. is a little on the heavy side.
Marycrafts 100% Pure Mulberry Silk Sleeping Bag Liner
This is a rectangular silk sleeping bag liner with a pillow sleeve and slit on one side for easier access.
Made of 100% silk, this sleeping bag liner is ideal for hot weather and use in hostels in hot countries.
- Very affordable for 100% silk.
- It will help to keep you warm inside your sleeping bag in cool weather but keep you cool in hot weather.
- Packs down to 9”6.7” and weighs around 4 oz.
- The color may bleed the first time you wash it.
THN Outdoors Sleeping Bag Liner
THN Outdoors Sleeping Bag liner is a mummy shape that lines your sleeping easily to keep it clean and provide a little extra warmth.
- Full length zipper makes for very easy access.
- Made of microfiber polyester which is soft, durable, warm and cozy.
- Its larger size makes it ideal for use by itself in warm weather or hostels.
- 10 Oz. is on the heavy side for a liner.
- A little too big to fit comfortably in most sleeping bags.
Tough Outdoors Sleeping Bag Liner
This incredibly low priced liner is a good example of when budget options can be just as functional.
Tough Outdoors’ sleeping bag liner is comfortable, durable and packs down into a very small, lightweight package.
- 85”x37” is a good sized liner.
- Includes a pillow sleeve.
- Made of 100% polyester that has a soft silky feel.
- Packs into 6”x8” case and weighs 11 oz.
- No side opening.
Vumos Sleeping Bag Liner and Camping Sheet
The Vumos sleeping bag liner is very versatile.
Its full length zip allows it to open out into a flat sheet for use on a double bed or with 2 people, but it can also be used by itself or inside a sleeping bag.
- The 100% polyester fabric has a silk finish which is soft and breathable.
- The sheet has a pillow pocket where you could stuff a rolled up jersey for a DIY pillow on the road.
- It packs down to 7.5” and 11.5 Oz.
- The rectangle shape may be uncomfortable if used in a mummy shape sleeping bag.
Outry Travel and Camping Sheet
This is less of a sleeping bag liner and more of a sheet for use in hostel situations which makes it a great option for travel.
It is effectively a sheet that has been sewn partially shut into an envelope and with a pillow flap.
- It comes in 3 different sizes to suit singles and couples.
- Made of 100% cotton, this sheet is easy to wash.
- It comes with a pillow flap for slotting the hostel pillow into if you don’t trust the pillow cases.
- This sheet won’t add any warmth and isn’t really suited for use inside a sleeping bag.
How to Choose the Best Sleeping Bag Liner for Your Needs?
Sleeping bag liners are a super useful item to travel within my option. They are very versatile and don’t take up much space in your luggage so I can’t think of a reason not to carry one, given all the benefits.
For example, a good sleeping bag is expensive and you’ll want to avoid washing it too much in order to prolong its life.
A sleeping bag liner means that you can keep your sleeping bag clean and not have to wash it, by washing the liner instead.
A good sleeping bag liner can also add a season of warmth to your sleeping bag, making a good 3 season bag capable of withstanding winter temperatures.
Some liners are also moisture wicking, helping you to stay dry and warm.
When traveling in hot places, the sleeping bag liner can take the place of your sleeping bag completely. I can speak from personal experience having done this for 3 months in South East Asia.
And finally, there’s the hygiene factor. Sleeping bag liners can provide you with a clean surface to sleep on when you’re not completely sure about the cleanliness of your lodgings.
They also help to prevent bites from bed bugs and mosquitoes (though this depends on the material).
Rectangular or Mummy shaped?
This is a personal preference and depends on how much leg room you need.
If you want to use your liner inside your sleeping bag, you’ll want something a little smaller/less bulky.
If you’re a taller person, you may need a longer liner.
Do you mind shimmying in through a top only entry or do you need a side opening?
Zips can be handy for easy access but take up space when packed and can be more hassle than they’re worth if they tend to snag.
This is actually probably the most important factor. Sleeping bag liners can be silk, cotton, polycotton, polyester or fleece.
- Silk is the most expensive, but it is the most versatile in hot and cold temperatures, it packs down to the smallest and lightest package, and it doesn’t need to be treated against insects as bed bugs and mosquitoes can’t penetrate the fine mesh (although there will be nothing stopping them from entering at your head end).
- Fleece can be cozy and warm but will be bulkier.
- Cotton is usually heavier and once it gets wet, will stay damp and not help to keep you warm.
- Polycotton or polyester can be a great choice depending on the quality, basically being a combination of fleece and silk in properties.
Waterproof sleeping bag liners are not very common, as waterproofing adds weight and bulk, and reduces breathability.
But if it’s something you’re really determined to find, Brolly Sheets do a waterproof sleeping bag liner that is about the size and weight of a flannel sheet when packed.
So that concludes this article on the best sleeping bag liners for travel.
I hope you found this article useful.
I believe sleeping bag liners can be a really great addition to your travel gear, especially if you choose one that is light and compact.
Feel free to comment below, and if you haven’t already, be sure to download our e-book on solo travel safety.
Get 50 Solo Travel Safety Tips eBook for FREE
No more reading loads of posts about solo traveler safety. Get your 50 point safety list in one eBook. Be ready, stay safe!