Your feet are obviously crucial instruments in hiking. The quality of a hike is largely dependent on the condition of your feet, which means it is largely dependent on the hiking boots you choose.
Unless you prefer to hike with soaking wet feet or blisters, you’re going to want to read this article to learn about choosing the best hiking boots for your feet.
|Merrell Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot||for Wide Feet|
|Merrell Men’s Moab Hiking Boot||for Flat Feet|
|Lowa Men’s Camino GTX Hiking Boot||for Narrow Feet|
|Vasque Women’s St. Elias GTX Hiking Boots||for Narrow Feet|
|Northside Men’s Apex Mid Wide Hiking Boot||for Wide Feet|
It is important to know what to look for in a pair of boots, and what characteristics are most important for you.
If you have wide, flat, or narrow feet, you probably already know the importance of finding shoes that fit your particular foot type.
Hiking boots are no exception, so this review will provide you with a list of the best hiking boots for wide, flat, and narrow feet.
- Advice and Tips
- TOP 4 Best Hiking Boots for Wide Feet
- TOP 4 Best Hiking Boots for Flat Feet
- TOP 4 Best Hiking Boots for Narrow Feet
Advice and Tips
Before you get overwhelmed by all of the hiking boot options, you should take the time to do some in-depth research regarding how to choose the right hiking boots. Some of the more basic things to consider include:
- The type of hiking boot
- The fit
- The materials.
There are several different kinds of hiking boots, so before you make a purchase, you should decide how you plan to use your boots for the majority of the time.
While some are better suited for day hikes, others may be better suited for multi-day hikes. Some may be better for hiking on rocky terrain, while others may be better for wet or slippery terrains, such as creek hikes.
Once you determine what type of hiking you will be doing, you can then start to compare the different materials that boots are made of.
The main options you have in terms of materials are synthetics, suede, and leather. The materials affect several factors that set hiking boots apart, including:
- Water resistance
Leather boots tend to be more durable and water resistant, but they are heavier and less breathable. Suede are light and water resistant, but they are less durable and less breathable.
Synthetic materials are more breathable and lighter, but they are less durable and less likely to be water resistant, although most are quick to dry if they do get wet.
After choosing a material that best fits your needs, the last thing for your to consider when buying hiking boots is the fit.
One of the more, if not most, crucial factors to consider is how well the boots fit you. This is especially true for people with wide, flat, or narrow feet. Owning a pair of poorly-fitted boots can leave you with feet terrorized by blisters.
In some more serious instances, it can even cause toenails to fall off. When going on long hikes, pain can quickly ensue and become severely debilitating. You should consult someone who knows about proper fitted boots, such as a sales associate at a hiking store to ensure that your boots fit well before you buy them.
Although, no one knows better than you if the boots fit!
Certainly, these are just a few of the things you should take into consideration when buying new boots. However, now you can begin to apply this knowledge to choose the best hiking boot for wide, flat, and narrow feet from the list below or based off of your own personal preferences.
TOP 4 Best Hiking Boots for Wide Feet
Merrell Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
Merrell recently started offering many of its popular boots in wide widths to accommodate both male and female hikers with wide feet. This particular boot is an excellent light option for waterproof boots. It is made with a combination of leather and synthetic materials, and it can be purchased at a moderate price.
- Merrell designed this boot with a lot of thought, and as a result, it has several characteristics that would fall in the pros column.
- They carefully combined leather and synthetic to get the best of both worlds.
- The support of the leather provides the durability while the nylon allows flexibility and breathability in the waterproof boot.
- Some may complain that the combination of leather and nylon makes the boot too flexible or light if they are looking for a more solid and sturdy boot for more intense hiking.
This boot is easily one of the best hiking boots for wide feet among men and women. It takes an excellent boot from a reputable brand and effortlessly transfers the elements to a boot that is suited for people with wide feet.
The benefits of both leather and synthetic materials makes these boots a great choice for hikers looking for a lightweight, durable, waterproof boot that fits them well.
Northside Men’s Apex Mid Wide Hiking Boot
These boots are one of the best hiking shoes for wide feet for men because they already are made for wide feet, but they also have removable insoles to make more room if needed. The boots are all leather with a sole that is good for any terrain or weather.
- Because the boots are constructed out of leather, they provide your feet with good protection from water, and they are also durable enough to last you several miles of hiking.
- The option to customize the boots fit by removing the insole makes this a good option for a variety of hikers, and even though it is a good boot, it is the most affordable out of all of the hiking boots in this review.
- Though these boots are water resistant, they are made of leather without Gore-Tex, so they are less breathable than other boots on this list.
- They are also significantly heavier than other options.
The Northside Apex hiking boot would be an excellent option for wide-footed, beginner hikers. Because of the affordability and its quality, hikers with wide feet will find that this option will give them the best bang for their buck.
There are certainly some areas the boots could be improved on, but they serve their purpose well as is.
Vasque Breeze 2.0 GTX
For not being designed specifically for hikers with wide feet, these boots have enough room to accommodate most wide-footed hiking men and women. It is another boot made from a combination of leather and synthetic material, and it falls in the moderate level in regards to cost.
- The materials used in making these boots make them rather light and breathable for waterproof boots.
- Despite being made to be lighter, they are still more very durable, and they are overall good, quality boots for a reasonable price.
- The major con for this boot is that it may not be suitable for all hikers with wide feet.
- Since the design was not made to accommodate wide-footed hikers, it may fit some wide feet while others might find that they are still too wide to comfortably fit in them.
Even though it was not designed to be so, the Vasque Breeze 2.0 GTX boots are some of the best hiking boots for wide feet on the market. If you have wide feet and are able to find comfort in the fit of these boots, we think you will find that they would be a good purchase decision.
Clorts Women’s Hiker Leather GTX Waterproof Hiking Boot
It’s really difficult to find women’s shoes that accommodate wide feet, but these ones do the trick.
These waterproof boots are a combination of durable leather and breathable mesh, keeping your feet both safe and comfortable while you hike.
They even come in different colors, giving you a little bit of choice when it comes to your personal style.
- Since the upper is suede leather, you won’t have to break them in.
- Interior EVA mold absorbs shock for a comfortable hike
- Insole is sanitized and keeps your feet fresh
- Interior waterproof membrane keeps your feet dry when hiking in wet environments
- Runs a little small. Choose a half size above your normal size.
These are great women’s hiking boots for wide feet, and the price is reasonable. They use the highest technology available to keep you safe and dry while you hike, and they’re half as expensive as some other leading brands.
TOP 4 Best Hiking Boots for Flat Feet
Asolo Stynger GTX
The Asolo Stynger GTX is a suede Gore-Tex boot excellent for hikers with flat feet. Good luck finding another Gore-Tex boot like it on the market that is also one of the best hiking shoes for flat feet. The design provides the right amount of support to make it an outstanding boot in its category.
- The major pro to this boot is the fact that it is Gore-Tex, so your feet will not only be well supported by the design, but also kept dry.
- The Gore-Tex and padding and support around the ankle makes it one of the best hiking boots for flat feet.
- The con to this particular boot is its lack of removable inserts or specialized orthotics design.
- While it serves flat-footed hikers well, it was not designed specifically for that purpose.
- Another con is that because they are Gore-Tex, they are on the more expensive end of hiking boots.
Based on the fact that this boot is of a rare design with the Gore-Tex and support for hikers with flat feet, this is an excellent choice for any hiker, especially those who are flat-footed.
Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Mid Hiking Boot
This boot is another great choice for men with flat feet. Unlike the Asolo Stynger, this was designed with not only great ankle support but also a footbed designed to prevent injuries and pain related to having flat feet.
The heel has air pockets which makes it shock absorbent and also relieves pressure on heels and legs to make for a more comfortable hike.
- The ortholite footbed makes this one of the best hiking boots for flat feet, and the absorbent heel is just the icing on the cake.
- The boots are mainly made of synthetic materials, which means they are also very breathable and light.
- Because of the synthetic materials, this hiking boot is not going to be as durable or waterproof as its leather and suede counterparts.
This moderately-priced hiking boot would be great for men with flat feet, who are looking for lighter hiking boots that still provide the orthotic support.
Drew Shoe Women’s Rochelle Hiking Boot
Drew Shoe’s are known for creating orthotic shoes, so it is no surprise that they have one of the best hiking boots for flat feet for women. The boots are made with two removable inserts, leather, and a waterproof membrane.
- The fact that these boots are designed by a company that specializes in orthotics is a major pro that makes it one of the best hiking shoes for flat feet.
- Though they are specialized in orthotics, the durable leather and waterproof membrane puts these boots right up next to the best of hiking boots in general.
- Despite being specially designed, these boots are still very affordable as they fall on the lower to moderate end of the hiking boot price spectrum.
- The only con for these boots is the fact they are more bulky than other boots to make room for the inserts and other orthotics.
As with most things, there has to be some give and take. These boots are no exception. While you must accept the bulkiness, the support, durability and waterproof membrane make it all worth it for women with flat feet and dreams of hiking pain free.
Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R Mid GTX Hiking Boot
These are some high tech women’s hiking boots, and the interior supports make them an ideal choice for women with flat feet.
The lace bungee system helps them hold securely to your feet while you’re climbing higher peaks and varied terrain. Gore-Tex technology helps these boots stay comfortable on long hikes, something that people with flat feet really need in athletic footwear.
They even come in different colors, so you can rock your favorite ones.
- Height of the boot provides additional ankle stability, making it easier to climb.
- These boots are vegan. Vegan hiking boots are hard to find.
- Adiprene insert provides the maximum level of support and shock absorption, cradling the soles of your feet.
- Sole grips are designed for maximum traction in wet conditions.
- Upper portion of the boots aren’t waterproof.
These boots offer the best combination of flat foot support and ankle stability. They’re great for beginners to learn it, and they’re designed to be usable by people who find that other hiking boots are uncomfortable on the soles of their feet.
TOP 4 Best Hiking Boots for Narrow Feet
La Sportiva Women’s Omega GTX Hiking Boot
It is difficult to find boots specifically designed for narrow feet. While these boots are not designed with narrow-footed customers in mind, they do run considerably more narrow than other brands, which makes this boot one of the best hiking boots for narrow feet.
- Not only is this boot waterproof because it is made with Gore-Tex, but it is also very breathable with solid ankle support.
- It is made with durable leather, and as far as leather Gore-Tex boots go, it is on the lighter side.
- As with most other boots made with Gore-Tex and leather, these boots will weigh heavier on the foot than synthetic options.
- They also come at a higher price point because of the quality design and materials.
Even though it is uncommon to find boots that are made to fit narrow feet, it doesn’t mean you have to settle, and these boots are proof of that. Not only do they fit narrow-footed women really well, but they are also all around good quality hiking boots.
Vasque Women’s St. Elias GTX Hiking Boots
Vasque is another brand that tends to run more narrow than others making this boot a great option for women with narrow feet. It is another Gore-Tex boot with a comfortable foam footbed and both arch and heel support.
- The waterproof Gore-Tex and quality leater make it great for hiking in a lot of wet weather.
- It is also made with a Vibram outsole, which gives it a lot of stability for not just hiking but also backpacking.
- Another pro is that it is a relatively moderate priced boot despite being made with leather and Gore-Tex.
- Again, the downsides of these boots are caused by the elements that make them so great.
- The Gore-Tex and leather make them heavier and less breathable than their synthetic counterparts on the market.
For a woman looking for the best hiking shoes for narrow feet, this is certainly a solid choice. It is a sturdy boot that can handle a wide variety of elements.
The Vasque St. Elias GTX boots are great for people who plan to do a lot of different types of hiking in different climates.
Lowa Men’s Camino GTX Hiking Boot
Since narrow feet are more common among women, there are not many hiking boots for men with narrow feet. In such a limited segment, these boots stand out as the best hiking boots for narrow feet for men.
They are not designed to be specifically for narrow feet, but like the other boots, they tend to run more narrow than other brands.
- The boots are waterproof and provide durability and support for long hikes.
- A unique feature in this boot is the design for the forefoot that reduces toe strain when hiking down hills by securing the foot in the boot.
- These boots are on the expensive end of the pricing spectrum. They are also fairly heavy boots because of their sturdy design.
For men looking for a solid boot design that fits their narrow feet snuggly enough to provide essential support, the Lowa Camino GTX is one of the best options.
Scarpa Men’s Kailash GTX Hiking Boot
These are heavy duty hiking boots, and they’re meant to hug tight. If you’re a man with narrow feet, you’re going to appreciate the design.
These lace through reinforced metal eyelets, helping them stay tight and allowing you to custom tighten them to properly fit your foot. If your feet get narrow towards the toe, you can lace them up to fit like a glove.
- These come is sixteen different sizes, so there’s a perfect fit for everyone.
- Durable leather upper is resistant to scratches.
- Superior sole grip prevents slipping and sliding on different terrain textures.
- Cut out contour around the ankle makes boots comfortable with added support
- Since the adjustments are circumference based, they’re much better for narrow feet than wide feet.
These are a dream for narrow footed hikers looking to scale the top of the highest summit. They look good while incorporating a lot of different support and adjustment features that give them a custom kind of fit that people with off-average feet need.
Whether you are a hiker with wide, flat, or narrow feet, or you are simply wanting to learn more about picking the right pair of hiking boots, you should now be better prepared to go out and buy some.
Carefully consider the type of boot, materials, and fit before you make a purchase because choosing the wrong boot could cause you incredible pain. Ill-fitting boots can quickly ruin an enjoyable hike, even if it is a short one.
If you struggle with finding proper fitting shoes because you have wide, flat, or narrow feet, this review hopefully served as a guide and, at least, sent you in the right direction.
While the boots on this list may be the best to some people, they might not be the best fit for you, so you should take this information and find YOUR best fit. You may find that these particular boots might not work for you, but it could be helpful to look at other boots by the same brands.
Don’t settle for boots that don’t fit you quite right. Take the time to learn about boots and try on several pairs.
Good luck finding a pair of boots that will take you on miles of adventures and always remember to break them in!
Get 50 Solo Travel Safety Tips eBook for FREE
No more reading loads of posts about solo traveler safety. Get your 50 point safety list in one eBook. Be ready, stay safe!