Dry bags have a very important job to do.
You’ll need to do a lot of research to find the best dry bag for your next trip near the water.
You need to be able to place your confidence in your bag, especially if it’s going to need to carry things that can never get wet, like smartphones or electronics.
Reading a few dry bag reviews can help you find the perfect bag for your new adventure.
How to Choose the Best Dry Bag
Not every bag made of a waterproof material is a dry bag.
This is mostly because of the way the seams are forged together. Dry bags have special seams and closures designed to prevent water from entering as pressure rises.
It’s important to know the difference so you won’t wind up with the wrong bag.
Level of Water Resistance
Some dry bags are secure enough to take into the water when you’re scuba diving.
Others are designed to float, preventing water from entering the top and protecting the contents with the center of the bag.
Before you assume whether or not you can actually take the bag underwater, make sure you’ve read the instructions that the manufacturer provides.
If it hasn’t been tested for scuba diving, it may not be a good idea to try that out – especially not with valuables in the bag.
The interior space of a dry bag is measured in liters, as in how many liters of water would be able to fit inside the bag.
It can sometimes be hard to envision how many liters of clothing you have, but it’s easy to put things into simple terms.
A 10-liter bag is small, a 20-liter bag is medium, and a 30-liter bag is large.
A 10 liter bag is perfect for one change of clothes, a smartphone or a tablet, and a camera. You’d also be able to fit your wallet inside.
If you’re going to be camping for a night or two, a 20-liter bag would work out best. A 30-liter bag could work for several nights of camping, or perhaps two nights of camping if the bag is being shared with someone else.
Dry bags are rarely larger than 30 liters, but there are a few massive bags on the market.
If you have a lot to carry or you plan on being gone for a long time, you’ll want one of these. They’re perfect for families who love boating or camping during the rainy seasons.
If you’re going to be using your dry bag at night, choose a neon color that will stand out. Black bags can sometimes get lost in the darkness.
High-quality dry bags are often equipped with reflectors to make them easy to see. If you’re carrying the bag on your back, other people will be able to see you in the dark.
Features to Look For
Every dry bag comes equipped with different features, and a few of them have bonuses. It all depends on the style and design of the bag.
You’ll want to choose the bag that will be the easiest for you to use, and the perfect bag will usually offer you the best value of features for your money.
Most budget dry bags only come with one strap, but there are backpack style dry bags that come with two and can be worn exactly like a regular camping bag.
If you’d rather haul your dry bag like luggage, there are a few dry bags that are equipped with duffel bag straps for longer, heavier hauls.
Some dry bags are just big, open sacks that you can toss all of your stuff into. Others come with compartments and zippered organizers.
This is perfect when you don’t want to spend a lot of time rummaging through your bag, risking the contents getting wet when you’re in a boat.
If you’re going to be using your dry bag for an overnight trip, you’re probably going to want something that offers organization.
You’ll be able to access things like your smartphone or your toothbrush much easier.
Some dry bags come with complementary smaller dry bags designed to protect your smartphone.
You can always purchase one of them separately, but many companies are kind enough to throw one in for free.
You’ll get a whole matching set without having to pay extra for the rest of the waterproof accessories you need.
TOP 5 Best Dry Bag Brands & Dry Bag Reviews 2018
Whether you’re looking for the best dry sack or most comfortable dry bag backpack, you’ll be able to find a bag that will work for you
These are some of the top dry bag manufacturers, and they all offer a wide variety of styles that will suit everyone’s needs.
It doesn’t matter what kind of trip near the water you’re taking, or the way you like to store your stuff.
There’s something for everybody.
Earth is a brand that makes shoes, jewelry, and watches. They also make some of the best dry bags, which seem out of place in their line.
These are surprisingly good dry bags, and both of the brand’s styles come at affordable price points.
They’re an unlikely contender in the race for the best waterproof bag, but many canoeing enthusiasts and kayak campers really enjoy their offerings.
Earth Pak- Waterproof Dry Bag
This is a single strapped sack style dry bag with a front pocket for convenient storage.
It comes in different colors and different sizes, so you’ll be able to get a bag that fits everything you need to bring with you.
Since these bags completely seal shut, it’s safe to let them float with you when you’re swimming in the water or paddling your kayak.
- This bag has a zippered front pocket, making it easy to access things you know you’ll need to use a lot without having to open the whole bag.
- This bag comes with a universal fit waterproof phone case that will work with any phone up to 6.5 inches. It’s a great bonus, and you won’t have to purchase one separately.
- Thermo-welded seams offer extra protection from invasive water.
- This is a single strap back. If you prefer backpack style dry bags, this one may not be what you’re looking for.
Earth Pak Roll Top Dry Compression Sack
This is a very simple, very affordable bag. It’s the best waterproof bag for people who want something basic and are buying on a budget.
Like Earth Pak’s other dry bag, this one comes with a universal fit waterproof phone case that will work with most smartphones.
- This comes in sizes as small as 10 liters and as large as 30 liters. This means you can carry supplies for multiple people in a single bag with room to spare.
- The price is perfect for budget shoppers. This bag is great quality, and it’s very cheap.
- Since it comes in different colors, you can coordinate and organize multiple bags without getting them mixed up.
- The bag doesn’t have any easy access pockets. You’ll need to open and close the whole bag to grab what you need.
Voli Outdoors is a small brand that makes mostly equipment for hikers and adventurers.
The backbone of their product line is their bags, and they have one of the best dry bag backpack designs commercially available.
They believe in their design so much that they only offer two waterproof bags – a 10-liter and a 20-liter version of the same product.
Voli Dry Bag Backpack 20L
This is the best dry pack with two straps, and it won’t break the bank. It comes in three different colors, and the 20 liter capacity is perfect for most outings.
You can fit a lot of stuff in here if you pack it tightly, and you can place the things you’ll want to access frequently in the convenient front compartment.
- You can wear this easily since it’s in a traditional backpack design. If you’d rather make sure your gear stays on you at all times, this will give you peace of mind.
- While this features the typical cylindrical design that all of the best dry bags share, it also lays flat against your back for comfort.
- Compartments and pockets make it easy to organize this dry backpack.
- This doesn’t come in a 30-liter size. If you need to carry a lot with you, you might need two bags.
KastKing is a brand that primarily caters to fishermen.
If you want a waterproof bag you can take on a fishing trip, you’ll find one in their line.
Of course, these bags can be used for more than just fishing.
They’re great for anyone who intends to spend the day in a wet environment and needs to keep their possessions dry while they’re enjoying themselves.
KastKing Dry Bag
This bag is easy to use. It comes in four colors and different sizes, ranging from 10 liters to 30 liters.
This is a single strap design, and it can safely float in the water without damaging the contents.
It’s great for camping or even rafting expeditions.
- Clear window on the front allows you to see exactly what is inside the bag. This is great to keep bags from getting mixed up if you have several with you.
- Bag overlaps twice when the top rolls down to create a reinforced seal against the water.
- This bag can be carried either by the fully adjustable strap or by the handle. It all depends on what feels most comfortable for you.
- Since this is made of the same vinyl as an above ground pool, it has a distinct vinyl smell that intensifies in hot weather.
KastKing Waterproof Roll Top Type Duffel Bag
This is a massive 30-liter bag and it comes in two colors. There’s enough room to pack for an entire camping trip.
The duffle bag design allows it to be carried horizontally by the strap, the same way a regular duffel bag or messenger bag might be carried.
It’s almost like a waterproof gym bag.
- This bag is strong enough to be considered “everything proof”. This means not only water but even snow. This is great for a winter camping trip or a cold weather hike.
- Small clear window on the front allows you to see inside of the bag, making it easier to find things when it’s tightly packed.
- Lots of storage options help you keep your gear organized while you’re out on a trip.
- The outer zippered compartment is not waterproof. You shouldn’t place things like smartphones inside of it.
Odyssey makes all of their gear for aquatic adventures. Their waterproof bag is just as good as the rest of the equipment in their line.
It’s a standard style bag, but the quality is great.
Everything they make is marine grade, rather than made from materials that just so happen to be waterproof. If you’re into technology and innovation, their gear will blow you away.
Odyssey Waterproof Roll Top Dry Bag
- Made of thermo-welded Tarpaulin, and designed to survive almost anything. The seams won’t ever give out on you, and the material itself is very hard to scratch or puncture.
- This is one of few dry bags that’s actually been tested by dive teams. You can’t get better quality assurance than that.
- Comes with a bonus waterproof smartphone holder for free. Extra protection never hurts.
- Only comes in a 10 liter or 20-liter size. You might need multiple bags if you have a lot of stuff you’d like to bring with you in your kayak.
This is a high tech luxury sports brand that offers only top of the line products.
Everything they make is a little more expensive, but you’re getting what you pay for.
They offer a lot more options than most dry bag brands offer, with their specialty being two strapped bags that boast a much higher capacity than all of the rest.
If you need something for a serious trip, you’ll probably want a bag made by this brand.
Såk Gear BackSak Waterproof Backpack
The BackSak comes in different colors, and is designed to be worn just like a regular backpack.
You can drop one of the straps if you prefer to carry it on one shoulder. It’s designed to maximize the interior space while still being comfortable to wear.
This isn’t a cylindrical shaped dry bag – this one will actually conform to your body.
- This comes in a massive 35-liter size. This can carry enough dry gear for several people going on a multi-day trip. Most of the competitors feature 30 liters as their largest size, but this one pushes the envelope.
- The BackSak features zippered compartments to help you keep your gear organized, You can place the things you’ll need constant access to in the front of the bag, so there’s no need to dig around inside.
- This bag features a versatile closure. It can either be rolled down from the top and clicked together to create a handle or buckled around with side clips. You can shape the bag however you want, depending on what you have inside.
- Because of the innovative technology used to create this bag, it’s one of the most expensive options.
Såk Gear DuffelSak Waterproof Duffel Bag
This is one of few duffel style waterproof bags. It comes in different colors and is designed for hauling large equipment.
This is perfect for occasions where a regular folding top dry bag or a waterproof backpack won’t be enough for the trip you have planned.
- This has a 60-liter capacity. It can fit three times as much inside as the normal dry bag. You can transport an entire campsite when you’re kayak camping. Stuff it, throw it in your kayak or canoe, and take it out when you get to your destination. You might only need one bag for everything.
- Versatile strap system allows you to carry this bag by the handles or over your shoulder. It also comes with metal d-rings that can be used to latch it to a boat, preventing it from sliding around or falling overboard.
- Comes with individual zippered compartments for improved organization. You don’t have to dump everything inside and dig around for it later.
- Some people may consider the price to be a con, but when you think about how much you would spend on 3 bags to reach this capacity, the price is virtually the same.
Which One Should You Choose?
Every dry bag is designed for a different purpose, as you could probably tell when reading the dry bag reviews
The best dry bag all depends on what kind of trip you’re taking and how much you need to be able to carry with you.
If you’re ever unsure, it helps to go with a larger bag. Nothing is worse than finding out the bag you’ve purchased is going to be too small.
You can always use the extra space (if you find that you have any) to pack more provisions for your trips.