Imagine hiking into the most beautiful tropical rainforest you have ever seen. It has been a hard day of marching onward, and you are tired.
You finally reach your destination: a high waterfall, cascading down into a pool of turquoise.
You would want to stay there for a while and relax with your significant other.
What better way than to hang in the best two-person hammock possible from the nearest palm trees?
But double hammocks aren’t always intended for two people.
There are a lot of reasons a camper might want a double hammock. Hammocks are easier to transport and set up than tents are, and backpackers love them because they’re so lightweight.
- Things to Consider When You Look for a Double Hammock
- How to Choose the Best Double Hammock
- TOP 8 Best Double Hammocks for Hiking 2020
- Grand Trunk Double Parachute Nylon Hammock
- Eagles Nest Outfitters – DoubleNest Hammock
- Clark Vertex 2 Person Double Hammock
- Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping Hammock
- Legit Camping – Double Hammock
- ErgaLogik Tree Friendly Double Nest Camping Hammock
- Live Infinitely Double Outdoor Camping Hammocks
- Wise Owl Outfitters Double Camping Hammock
Most people will find a single hammock works perfectly, but some of them are a little on the small side.
Double hammocks are perfect for people who intend to share their hammock with another camper.
They’re also great for people who are taller or huskier and will need a larger sleeping surface than the one provided by a single sleeper hammock.
Double hammocks make your hike more enjoyable by acting as low impact furniture when you get winded on a trail, a place to relax and unwind at vistas, or a bed for the hiker determined to sleep under the stars.
Whether hiking through the forest, relaxing by a subalpine lake, or lounging around the campfire, your double hammock is out there waiting for you!
When you’re shopping for a double hammock, there are a few things you’ll want to consider. The best double hammock will meet all of
Things to Consider When You Look for a Double Hammock
If you’ve never purchased a double hammock before, there are a few things you may want to think about before you buy one.
There are two main considerations you’ll need to make when you’re browsing through the selection of hammocks on the hunt for the perfect model.
The Amount of Hammock Space
Some double hammocks are designed for one camper but are sized a little larger than a regular hammock. Other double hammocks are actually designed for two campers.
Make sure you’re getting the hammock that’s going to do what you want it to do. If you’re only looking for a little extra space for yourself, you won’t need something designed to hold two people.
If you’re camping with two people, you’re definitely going to want a hammock that’s designed to hold the both of you.
How You’re Going To Hang Your Hammock
Hammocks can be installed with either ropes or straps. Since double hammocks hold a lot more weight than a single hammock, you need to make sure you’re comfortable with the installation method.
Your ropes or straps are going to have a lot more to hold up – especially if two people are sharing the hammock.
Make sure you’re comfortable tying knots and using ropes if you’re using a rope hammock. If you’re unsure, it helps to go for a hammock that’s made to be used with safer, easier straps.
How to Choose the Best Double Hammock
When trying to figure out the best two-person hammock for you, there are a number of factors to take into account.
The lighter the hammock, the easier it will be to carry to your destination.
Hammocks on a hike can be used for anything from a 5-minute rest to an unexpected overnight, and you want to make sure you love the fit of your hammock.
You want your product to last long past the warranty end date.
When picking out your 2 person hammock consider where you are going to be using the hammock.
Certain climates and situations call for different types of additional features and protection.
If you are going to use your hammock in an area with a lot of mosquitoes (think tropical island), you will want a hammock with bug netting, but when planning to stargaze, you will want a hammock with a removable cover.
There are a wide variety of quality hammocks within a large price range, so finding yours on a budget is not a problem.
TOP 8 Best Double Hammocks for Hiking 2020
Grand Trunk Double Parachute Nylon Hammock
This hammock comes in at 2 pounds, a perfect weight for hiking any distance.
The Grand Trunk Double was designed for two, but for maximum comfortability, it is advised to sleep for one person only.
Although there is no bug netting, the hammock will wrap around one average-sized person enough to keep the mosquitoes at bay. The Grand Turk Double Parachute is perfect for anyone on a budget, and users swear up and down about the great value for the cost.
The nylon dries fast, the triple-stitched seams ensure durability, the material does not snag, and set up is fast and simple.
This is one of the best double hammock on the market for budget-conscious individuals looking to find a versatile, long-lasting hiking hammock.
- Mildew resistant.
- Triple-stitched seams.
- Includes carabineers.
- Holds up to 400 pounds.
- Heavy carabineers add unnecessary weight.
- Does not compress as small as some other double hammocks.
- Short straps on the hammock.
- No bug netting.
Eagles Nest Outfitters – DoubleNest Hammock
No collection of the best hammocks would be complete without an ENO hammock. The Double Nest is beloved by campers everywhere.
Weighing in at 17 oz, this lightweight, this compact double hammock is perfect for anything from backpacking the Appalachian Trail to hiking to your favorite fishing spot!
The ENO DoubleNest is made of breathable parachute nylon, making this hammock extremely stretchy and comfortable, even on bare skin.
While all hammocks are more comfortable when sleeping alone, users have found the DoubleNest very comfortable for sleeping for two. The weight limit on this hammock is 400lbs, enough for two average sized people to share.
All of the stitches on the seams are triple interlocked for safety and quality. It comes in over four dozen color combinations, allowing campers to choose their favorite style from such a broad selection.
Bug netting is not included, so if you plan on hammocking in areas with flying pests you will need to buy some extra equipment.
With added upgrades to take bugs and weather into account, the DoubleNest is perfect for year-round use.
Whether used for single or double, hiking or backpacking, budget-conscious or spendy, the Eagles Nest Outfitters DoubleNest is perfect for you!
- Lightweight aluminum carabineers.
- Compression straps on the stuff sack.
- Quick and easy set up.
- Since the bed of the hammock is 9 feet and 4 inches long by six feet and two inches wide, it’s spacious enough for two, but will also work great as a single sleeper hammock for someone who needs a little more space.
- Since the fabric is so breathable, it’s great for summer camping trips. Body heat can quickly accumulate when two campers are sharing a hammock, you’ll appreciate the improved airflow.
- This hammock only weighs 1.19 pounds and fits snugly in a grapefruit-size carrying bag that can either be placed in your hiking backpack or clipped to the outside.
Clark Vertex 2 Person Double Hammock
Coming in third, the best 2 person hammock in comfortability is the Clark Vertex. Equipped with an independent suspension of two beds in one hammock, both individuals in the hammock can rest easy and move freely.
Another aspect adding to greater comfort is the zippered, breathable fabric cover included for warmth, privacy, and extra protection.
This hammock is good for heavier users with a tested maximum weight limit of 700 pounds. The Clark Vertex also comes with bug netting, fully zippered for easy assembly or removal.
As an added bonus the material of the netting has been formulated to keep out no-see-ums, perfect for those hiking in Florida.
As far as durability goes, the construction and materials are top quality, made in the USA. Weighing in at a little over 5 pounds, the weight of the heaviest double hammock on the list can be evenly distributed between two hikers for lighter packs.
Clark’s hammocks come with a lifetime warranty for manufacturer’s flaws, and an option for cheap repairs.
The only downside to this amazing hammock is the high price tag. For those to whom money is no object, the Clark Vertex 2 Person Double Hammock is the best in the higher price range.
- Ready to set up right out of the box.
- Independent suspension creates two separate spaces for users.
- A large amount of headroom.
- Easily converts into a tent.
- Rain tarp sold separately.
- Some users find this hammock too narrow in the feet due to the triangle design.
- Poles provided lack shock cord for easy teardown.
- 3 trees required for optimal setup.
Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping Hammock
Next on the list is the Bear Butt Hammock. Weighing in at 1 pound, this lightweight hammock is good for both short and long hikes.
Perfect for those who have put up 100 hammocks or none, this double hammock is quick and simple to set up.
This is one of the best double hammocks on the market.
It measures 10 feet long by 6 feet wide. Although rated to 500 pounds, the strong triple stitching on this well-made hammock has been proven to withstand up to 900 pounds. The Bear Butt Double Hammock comfortably sleeps one or two.
As an added bonus, when used by one person, this hammock cocoons and totally covers you for protection from critters. The nylon parachute material has enough give to be comfortable, yet is strong enough to give all the support needed.
The extremely soft material adds to overall comfort when lounging with bare skin. The Bear Butt company offers a lifetime warranty, offering to return your money and let you keep the hammock if you are not satisfied.
Affordability is just another reason to buy the Bear Butt Hammock: the low price combined with the high quality of the hammock makes the Bear Butt Double Hammock a steal.
However, if you are in a high traffic blood-sucking insect area, keep in mind bug netting is not included.
- Hammock suspension ropes and carabiners are included. The bag fits everything, and it’s ready to go as soon as you buy it. All you have to do is hang it up and enjoy yourself.
- This is much taller than similar double hammocks. Campers up to 6 feet 5 inches tall will be able to fit comfortably inside – which is substantially taller than the typical 6-foot height limit imposed by other hammocks.
- The weight test on this hammock is one of the highest available. You’re going to have a difficult time finding a double hammock that has been tested for up to 900 pounds that actually passed the test.
- Rain fly sold separately
- Straps are not included
- Lack of printed instructions
- Heavy carabineers
Legit Camping – Double Hammock
The Legit Camping hammock is ready for set-up right out of the box, so you do not have to worry about purchasing extra equipment.
The military-grade 210T nylon fabric and ripstop technology ensure a comfortable, long-lasting hammock experience.
When unfolded, it’s 10 feet long and 6 and a half feet wide. It packs into a carrying back that’s 9 inches high and 4 inches in diameter for easy storage.
Another pro for this hammock: the Legit Camping Double Hammock is highly affordable for the quality.
Weighing in at less than 1 pound, and rated to 400 pounds, the Legit Camping hammock easily fits two average-sized adults. However, this hammock is best for two people horizontally, while a bit snug for two lying vertically.
This is a simple, fun, easy hammock that everyone who wants to enjoy the great outdoors would love to have.
There are no frills – it’s just a great hammock that’s ready to use the moment you get it. Take it camping, fishing, hunting, or hiking. You can even enjoy it in your own backyard.
- Hammocks look exactly like sample pictures.
- Package contains steel carabineers, rope, and tree-friendly straps.
- Easy to understand instructions.
- Dries quickly.
- Straps made for small trees and shorter tree gaps.
- Included stuff sack almost too small for the product.
- The rope does not extend very far.
- Heavier people make the hammock less comfortable.
- Doesn’t come with any rain fly or mosquito protection accessories.
ErgaLogik Tree Friendly Double Nest Camping Hammock
Although the ErgaLogik is the most affordable hammock on the list, you are getting much more than your money’s worth.
Easy and fast set up right out of the package, this two-person hammock is perfect for those new at hammocking! The ErgaLogik double hammock is lightweight at 1.1 pounds, making it easy to carry on a long hike.
Best for two, when used by only one person the hammock tends to envelop you like a pea in a pod.
There is no bug net or rain fly included with the ErgaLogik Tree Friendly Double Nest Camping Hammock; however, with the affordable price, there is money left over for accessories.
The ErgaLogik is sturdy, made of breathable, ultra-strong nylon and triple stitched with high-quality seams. Durability is not an issue, but if you ever need a replacement there is no hassle involved with the ErgaLogik company. This hammock boasts a lifetime warranty and a US based business.
If you are in the market for a low cost, high quality, lightweight hiking hammock, look no further than the ErgaLogik Tree Friendly Double Nest Camping Hammock.
- Attached stuff sack.
- Tree-friendly straps.
- Includes everything necessary to get started hammocking.
- Straps made for small trees and shorter tree gaps.
- The rope does not extend very far.
- Tree straps slip.
- Carabineers could be higher quality.
Live Infinitely Double Outdoor Camping Hammocks
This hammock is made of 210T RipStop Nylon, and all of the steams are held together with triple interlocked stitching for maximum durability. It’s 9 feet and 10 inches long by 6 feet and 6 inches wide.
It packs down to a 6 inch by 8 inch pouch and only weighs 1 pound and 2 ounces to carry. The weight limit is up to 450 pounds, and it comes in different color combinations.
Most of the hammocks feature black beds, which helps them stay looking clean and new for longer.
This is a great high tech hammock kit that features all of the basics. It’s the best 2 person hammock for campers who want to camp in style.
It’s machine washable, and the whole kit comes in matching colors. The straps are of the highest quality, and the incorporated safety features will allow you to sleep easy, knowing you’re protected from flipping or flimsy stitching.
This is an amazing value, and anyone would love to have this at their campsite.
- The hammock material is colorfast, and the hammock itself is safe to clean in the washing machine. Toss it in, and the hammock will come out clean with the colors as bright as they were the day you bought it. Most hammocks require handwashing – the washer safe capabilities of this hammock make it super convenient.
- Every hammock comes with triple stitched straps that are color coordinated to the hammock. The straps feature 16 attachment points on each one, making it easy to set up your hammock and clip it to the included carabiners.
- These hammocks are designed to be anti-flip. This is a great safety feature to have in a double hammock, where two people moving in different directions could cause the hammock to tip.
- All weather protection and netting accessories are sold separately.
Wise Owl Outfitters Double Camping Hammock
Wise Owl is one of the most affordable double hammock manufacturers out there. They’re designed to offer the same kind of quality campers would find in a more expensive ENO hammock for a price they can afford.
Their double hammock is 10 feet long by 6 and a half feet wide, rated for up to 400 pounds of user weight. Their double hammock is less than two pounds and comes with a carrying bag. You get to choose from eleven different stylish color combos.
- This hammock is made of skydiving grade nylon. If you can trust this kind of material to help you safely land from thousands of feet above the earth, you can trust it to keep you safe while you sleep outdoors on a windy night.
- Comes with nylon ropes and carabiners that you can use to set the hammock up right away. Give it a test in your backyard before you pack it up to take it camping.
- His hammock is very light and versatile. You’ll be able to take it anywhere you want to go. The material makes it perfect for beach camping, as well as traditional campsites along a hiking trail.
- This hammock doesn’t feature a bug net or a rain fly. You’ll only want to use it when the weather is perfect, or you’ll want to purchase these things separately.
When looking for a double hammock it is important to take into account weight, comfort, versatility, durability, the area of use, number of people sharing the hammock, and affordability.
There are a wide variety of two-person hammocks for each situation, so be sure to tailor this list to your personal preferences.
The best double hammock for you is a hammock that will make you feel safe and comfortable. You’ll want to choose a hammock that you’re confident you’ll be able to set up on your own.
Whether you choose the Grand Trunk, the Wise Owl, or any of the six in between, rest assured you are getting the best double hammock in a flooded market.